26.6.10

Southern mishigas


Mishigas meaning: — Mess. Disorder. Disarray. Craziness. Mishigas is yet another fantastic yiddish word that has worked its way into the English lexicon. Example:

"What's all this mishigas?!" What's all this mess!
"I didn't understand a word Moishe said, he kept talking some strange mishigas!"

This explains a day in the life of this Yankee's day down south - Mishigas

So I wake up this morning looking forward to the USA soccer game and anticipating a victory to the next round. At 10:30am my wife appears in the living room dressed for the beach and asks me if I want to come. This was not just any ordinary beach day she says..this is hands across the sand beach day........

I learn that this is a world wide event. Hands Across the Sand is a movement made of people of all walks of life and crosses political affiliations. This movement is not about politics; it is about protection of our coastal economies, oceans, marine wildlife, and fishing industry. More info here

I asked if we would get back by 2:30pm (USA soccer game start time) she says ..”no problem”

So we head out to a little town down here called Carrabelle, destination Carrabelle beach. We first meet Janet Lightfoot who organized this event locally, just started the organization 4 days ago.



We also met a spirited group of local people and some from other parts of the state and country.





Carrabelle is a small fishing community that is bracing from the threat of the BP oil spill. The town is well known for having the smallest police station in the world.



On to Hands (and feet) across the sand:





We had a great time meeting people and discussing all things oil spill including the potential hurricane looming out in the gulf........BUT....



I took some of these photographs while I was chest deep in the water. After taking all the photos, I left the water. While on shore I reached into my pocket and could not find my wallet. Yup…I had my wallet in my pocket while I was deep in the water. I don’t know so much if that was a Yankee move or just plain stupid..anyway, I realized that my wallet fell into the water while I was in the gulf.

I looked at my wife and without saying a word we both realized that it was probably gone. So now flashing through my head...............



.......was all the things that flash through your head when you lose your wallet. Got to call the bank and report that my credit and debt cards are lost, got to go to the motor vehicle department to replace my driver’s license, need to call work and let them know I lost the company card..was that the wining multi million dollar lottery ticket at the bottom of the gulf...and my social security card!! “can I change that?”

All this was too much for me, so I went straight back into the water again to the place I was taking the photographs ..or was this the exact place? or more over there? and did the current send my wallet of to Mexico? I flailed around with my feet trying to feel for something all the while looking at my wife as if it was a lost cause..

I did this for 15 minutes or so, and just when I was about to give up, I felt something..does it feel like a wallet or is it seaweed?? I hold my nose and take the plunge.. can’t feel it with my hands…I thought I lost it..but using my feet again, I was able to squeeze what I thought may be my wallet between my feet and brought it up in a sort of somersault move. YES! it was my wallet with every thing in tact. Talk about oh what a relief....

now to take care of the soggy wallet and all of the things I had in it...



The above photo is not that of my wallet drying, but if I had this contraption I would most definitely have used it. Funny how you don't realize the needless things you keep in your wallet until you have to dry out it's contents. Do I really need this receipt from 1987? Well, now I can at least pay for lunch.

On our way back home we come across this place:



I said to my wife it looks like a biker bar….but we went in anyway. (nothing against biker bars, we just did not have the proper attire)

WOW! Great place and great eats! We had the Seafood plate and loved it!

While we were eating, we chatted with the waitresses about the oil and business and their T shirts!



My wife had to have one.

We also met a gentleman who came into the restaurant to sell the owners home made honey, jams and syrup.



I followed him outside to get his story. What a great man. Meet Marvin.



Marvin is a very proud American and a WWII veteran. He is now retired and spends his days as a cane syrup maker in Moultrie Ga. What a great American. I told him today that if it wasn't for people like him, we would be in a world of hurt today.

On the way back, we wanted to stop and take some photos of the local go to places



When I first came down south and saw this sign and RV park, I though how boring! Over time (and as I get older) I really enjoy looking at the park and feel relaxed just by thinking about how peaceful it must be to hitch up and just do nothing. I do understand the need to be Ho-Hum at times, take it down a notch Gordon!

I am always fascinated with old and deteriorating places,





I love to think about these places in their hay day, what was it like?, how did it look then, are people still around that can tell me about these places?

In the end, I did catch the US soccer match, they lost, but I won the day! An opportunity to meander down here nice and slow in a ho-hum sort of way.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...