25.9.10

A Yankee takes on a huge Southern problem

I want to talk about the elephant in the room



Recently the CDC released its annual report of states’ obesity rates. Did you know that the Southern states were amongst the highest in obesity rates? I did not pay attention to these statistics at all up north. But when I read this, my mind wandered to the fair I went to recently down here.



I know this is a delicate issue and by no means want to upset my southern brothers and sisters. This blog is written for those that can, but don't. I understand any underlying medical problems related to weight gain.I thought I needed to at least share my take on staying fit and trim for those that may be interested.

Why?



Well, heck everybody and their brother has a diet book out so why not this Yankee? You may ask, "What does that skinny Yankee know?" ... There you have it :-)

For starters you need to know that I am 6 feet tall and weigh 168 pounds. Some call me skinny. Actually, I have a beef with people who come up to me and say-“you alright?” or “you feeling ok, you losing weight?” or the granddaddy of them all “Hey, you need to have me take you home and feed you, your too skinny”

Now just step back for a moment and picture this. I go up to someone who is overweight and say to them “Hey, you look extremely overweight their sparky, let me take you home and monitor your food intake"



I don't think so.

According to Newsday, 28 U.S. States reported obesity rates between 25-29% in adults ages 18 and older, and three states: Alabama, Tennessee, and Mississippi, reported rates of over 30%. In fact, Mississippi is the reigning champ of obesity, being the most obese state for three years running! In Mississippi, one in every three residents is obese.

I had often thought to myself that living down south can expand your life by a few more years with the slower pace and all and the less stressful approach to things like driving. Remember this here?

But I am slowly changing my mind. My wife recently reminded me to look and take note the next time I am in the big city up north and watch the people go by........



.......Running to catch a cab, the subway or just walking.

Most city folk are not largely over weight. They walk everywhere and need to keep a brisk pace in order not to get run over by the human herd behind them



I have posted below some things that I believe will help keep you fit and trim
Now, these tips are for the able body. Keeping in mind that my tongue is firmly in cheek on some of the items below

Never take the elevators:



I am claustrophobic anyway so this really works out for me. Avoid the temptation as much as you can. Now, if you work in a 6000 floor high rise, get off at the 5,995th floor and walk the remainder.

Don’t buy a rider mower, use a push um:



Now if you have many, many acres to mow, this tip is not for you. I am really addressing those (like my next door neighbor) who have a tiny, tiny plot of land and uses a rider mower to get the job done.





When going to work, The Mall etc..park the furthest away:



This is for daytime hours only. See, my Northern brain tells me that at night you park as close to the door as you can, or just stay home…

Don’t use drive thru's -walk in:



Nowadays there is a drive through for everything. Cleaners, beer, food, ice cream, banks, coffee shops, pharmacies etc…get out of the car and walk in. But try to....



...Stay away from fast foods. Don't hold vigil either!

Walk the dog regularly

Not just when he/she needs to go..but take the pooch out as many times as you can.

Not like........



...That, but more like.....



...That

Have a purpose when walking



Look the part, act the part and watch parts fly off!

Don’t use the escalators:



Did you every see the video of someone stuck on an escalator? This could happen to YOU!


Unless you live on a multi acre plot on the Hampton's-do not ride those golf carts around your property..get out and walk



Stay away from eating fried foods multiple times a week



I guess every now and then, fried foods are ok..but I know some folks who eat it everyday!

I hope these tips help someone.....



I know they are common sense things pretty much, but in everything we do, sometimes we need a little reminder...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...