15.5.11

A Yankee on The Bridge of War





The Battle of Natural Bridge was a battle during the Civil War, fought in what is now Woodville, Florida, near Tallahassee, on March 6, 1865. A small band of Confederate troops and volunteers, mostly composed of teenagers from the nearby Florida Military and Collegiate Institute that would later become Florida State University, and the elderly, protected by breastworks, prevented Union forces (consisting of African-American soldiers) from crossing the Natural Bridge on the St. Marks River. This action prevented the Union from capturing the Florida capital and made Tallahassee the only Confederate capital east of the Mississippi River not to be captured by Union forces during the war.

This civil war battleground is only 30 minutes from the house. This place is basically right in my backyard, I did not need my Smart phone navigation tool to get me here like I did in Andersonville.  When arriving, My first thought was “wow, the Yankees were down this far?” 

My second thought was "wow..nobody is here....."


.....maybe because it's a Sunday am? Boo-Boo and I  had the run of the place...

Oh..here is Boo-Boo...


Boo-Boo is taking it all in for now, he doesn't ask many questions...........yet! 


This battle of Natural Bridge is not as well known a some of the larger battles during the war..............









What struck me was how small the area was, unless I was looking in the wrong place, the actual site of the battle was very tiny. You have to hand it to the defenders though, they were mostly composed of teenagers and the elderly. To this day the cadets of the Florida State University are 1 of 4 Army ROTC programs to have a battle streamer for their actions in the civil war.

I found the place very peaceful, could have been because we were the only ones there, but peaceful nonetheless. I did take this photo of a sign I thought was interesting...



I was glad to finally be in the "Real Florida", where have I been living all this time ? How about that park rule 62d-2 FAC? I don't think I have anything to worry about here..take a look at a passage from this rule: 

(15) Aircraft. No person operating or responsible for any aircraft, glider, balloon, parachute, or other aerial apparatus shall cause any such apparatus to take off from or land in any park except in an emergency when human life is endangered or where a designated landing facility may exist on park property.

Good to know..So much for my skydiving entrance at Gettysburg...



Confederate pride still runs deep here in the south in most places. I try to respect this as I understand many families lost loved ones on both sides. I really try to understand the Southern view of the war without having my preconceptions that I was taught up east get in the way. I picked up one of these pamphlets a few week ago…..


........while observing a Confederate memorial service in the center of my home town. I don't think I can be a member. 

There is a monument in the middle of our town square here……



In loving memory for those in Wakulla County who served the Confederacy

(The flags are not up year round, only during ceremonies)

And if you attend any one of the many festivals here in Wakulla County, you will no doubt come across a vendor's booth manned by the Sons of Confederate Veterans...


Separating what the war meant to so many people down south and how it affected many Southern families is easy for me to separate in my head. I understand that there were reasons for the war, many up east will tell you that the abolishment of slavery was the one and only reason. I had this belief prior to living on this side of the Mason Dixon line..........



I know slavery was a major reason, but am also now considering other  elements that might have spurred this war on. A perfect storm of many events, instead of a single, lone reason.  

You talk to many Southerners and some would agree that slavery may have played a part in the war (although, much later and for political reasons) but most will tell you and speak on States rights and Northern aggression as being the real reason for this war. Some will also point you to the economics of the times and tell you that was a major reason as well. 

 I still have much "learnin" to do. The jury for me, on this topic is still out......


Many of my readers have commented on their thoughts as to the reasons for this war...read here: 


On my trip to Andrsonville a few weeks ago, I picked up one of these......every Yankee should have one...



 I don't wear it when I am vising these historic places, I don't feel right doing so, plus if I did.....I would be called something a little more direct than just a damn Yankee. 





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...