19.8.11

The Writer's Predicament

I believe that I was created to write stories.  (Among other things, of course).  I also believe that I am not the only one, and that many of you feel the constant tug--or yank--on your souls to write stories.  




Enter the writer's predicament.

Only 4 or 5 blessed people in the world can earn a living from their novels.  (Don't quote me on the statistics.)  My question is why do artists have it so rough?  If you like helping people, you can get a job as a social worker.  If you like math and physics, you can be engineer.  Okay, I realize I'm oversimplifying things, but still.  In many other areas of interest, you can make enough money to survive.

I am a workaholic when it comes to writing.  The only problem is I don't make any money from it.  Add a hopeful "yet" to this statement.  If I--for example--live with my parents and work my keyboard down with writing, but do not have a regular job, people will think I'm lazy.  They'll ask, "You mean, you don't have a job?  What do you do all day?"  

Side note:  I was once conversing with a young man.  He was talking about one of his favorite movies, which I (of course) knew nothing about.  When I told him as much, he was surprised.  "I don't really watch movies," I tried to explain.  After his paralysis of shock ended, he asked, "Then what do you do?"

Ha, ha.

Anyway, I'm not trying to complain about the writer's predicament.  Honest.  I also realize my dissection of the situation is rather hasty and only surface deep.  I just think it's interesting how things pan out in this world.  I think the writer's personality is one of perseverance, which is why we can handle all we have to go through just to get that snitch of writing time.

Do you have a full or part time job in addition to any writing you do?  (Being a mom is full time job.)  What is your job, and does it help you write better?      


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...