12.5.10

Down south? They do Church


I was raised in an Irish Catholic neighborhood in Dorchester, Massachusetts; I could see the prudential building downtown from the top floor of our triple deckah. As far as church goes, I did not want to feel left out so I attended the local Catholic Church although my mother brought us up in the Christian evangelical movement via the Salvation Army. As my dad use to say “it’s all one”

Church Services up east, when I was growing up took place on a Sunday and our parents had to send out search parties to find us so we could attend. Most neighborhood families attended services on a Sunday, but some would only be seen during the important days -Christmas or Easter.

Most big city Catholic churches looked like this:



And on the inside:




Coming from my Salvation army up brining, it was difficult for me to assimilate to the catholic church as I always felt like an outsider, I did not know when to sit or stand and when it came time to receive the host, I had to pass as I truly was not a Catholic then and did not want to mix the religions. I thought that would truly be the end of me.

Down south? They do Church.

If you are holding any type of community event, don’t schedule anything for Sunday or Wednesday. The attendance will be light and you will offend many people. Now, I never knew of Wednesday services up east, maybe my church did not have them and others did, but I don’t remember. But what I do remember is the fact that it seemed you could do other things around these days and it would not interfere with anyone. There is some sort of church building here every 1.7 miles it seems. We are talking many denominations and church sizes. take this one:


This is what ,many Churches down here look like:



Or how about this one:



In a strip mall. Another one of my dads sayings could apply here: “any port in the storm”

Now if you want a good ole rocking foot stomping, singing praising good old fashion service, try going to one of these!

Video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFKAO5k7-V0&feature=related

Now, can you beat that?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...