16.10.10

My Cousin Vinny and Me


I can relate!

As movies go, My Cousin Vinny brings it home for me. Oh man, can I relate! I watch this movie and can see myself in many of these scenes. I decided to show a few of my favorite scenes from the movie and write a little about my personal experience with that scene.

On Hunting (Warning this clip has some foul language)






I have never been deer hunting myself. Come to think of it, I have never been invited to go deer hunting for that matter. I couldn’t imagine such a thing. I guess, if the end of days were near and I had to convert to a hunter gatherer, I probably would be a high maintenance hunter. But if I HAD to, what attire would I sport for such an occasion? My wardrobe lacks the proper camouflage attire. Although I must say, If I was to go hunting, I would prefer this look:




Can you see me?

If that did not work, the closest thing to hunting attire I have would be something like this:




What is a grit anyway?




I did not eat grits for the first few years I was down South. It was something I told myself I wasn’t going to do. Me eat grits? Ewe! I would stick to my regional fare of cream of wheat.


Over time I did get a little braver and decided to at least give them a try. When in Rome, try some grits!



when I first asked for a bowl of grits here in the south, I asked the waitress to be sure to include milk and sugar..she said "include what!?" "you must be from up north" she continued. Quaker oats porridge came to mind when I placed my order. I did find out that I can have grits with butter or cheese (cheese?)

I always thought of grits to be a hard "gritty" food and tasteless. Heck, I had no clue what a grit was prior to my southern life.

I now have come to enjoy a bowl of grits with my breakfast. I still probably eat them with a northern flare as I don't have it with cheese or butter but ask for it plain and I top it off with a bit of artificial sugar-yes the pink package. Some tell me that is sacrilegious, but I do enjoy them that way.


Two Youts








Being from Boston, I have a slightly different dialect than those from New York. I though I would share some of my own word styling:

A Yankee Lexicon
ah = The letter between "q" an "s."
ahnt = Aunt
bah =  Bar
beah = Beer
bon = As in: Where were you born?
bzah = Strange, odd:
chowdah = Clams, milk, butter
connah = Where streets intersect
Dot = Short for Dorchester (My home town!)
fah =  Not near
fok = What you eat pasta
fyah =  Blaze: Fire
gahbidge = What they used to dump in the harbor
guvnah  = Chief executive of the commonwealth.
hahbah  = Harbor
hahf-ahst  = Done without regard to detail
hoss = Horse
Howahya = How are you?
khakis = What you start the car with.
mayah = Chief executive of the city
Noo Yok =  The City that never sleeps
owah  = Sixty minutes.
pahk  = Park
pahkah = One who pahks a cah.
pahlah  = Where the sofa is
pahster  = Spaghetti, ziti, etc..
pahty  = A social gathering. Also: Democratic or Republican.
shua  = Of course.
shot  = Not tall
squayah =  Not Round
tamorrah  = The day after today.
waw  = War
Yankee = Descendant of the folks who stole the Indians’ seed con.
yeah = A 365-day period:
yiz = You, plural. As in: "Ah yiz goin’ down the Cape tamorrah?"

On the great outdoors (a little foul language)



That’s is me 100%!!! I have done that many time here (minus the gun). We live in an area that at night there are sounds that you would never think can come from nature. All sorts of animals making strange sounds. Every now and then we hear a new sound and wonder what kind of man eater is out there waiting for us. The bugs are very loud and the frogs….millions of them making a croaking sound that seems like they are getting closer and closer to the house........


.....I swear that they are saying Gordon, Gordon, Gordon.........


“Oh and you blend”

Mona Lisa Vito: [Vinny looks at her funny] "What?"
Vinny Gambini: "Nothing. You stick out like a sore thumb around here."
Mona Lisa Vito: "Me? What about you?"
Vinny Gambini: "I fit in better than you. At least I'm wearing cowboy boots."
Mona Lisa Vito: "Oh yeah, you blend."

I don't know if I blend or not. Is that so important these days. I guess if you look like this...



You probably wont blend anywhere?


I haven't tried cowboy boots yet, but I did try one of these recently:


I am glad I have big ears or else the hat would have covered my eyes.

What is proper southern wear anyway? 

This?.........




Or this............



Can't say that I have ever worn a camo outfit, no need to, unless I decide to go stalk something in the woods. I am fine with my everyday work attire.....


Or for a more relaxing weekend approach:



Go Pats!!! Well maybe I don't blend after all.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...