23.10.10

Civil Yankee


Not a whisper! Each man was conscious
He stood in the sight of death;
So he bowed to the awful presence,
And treasured his living breath ~
 George Henry Boker(1823-1890)

I have been writing about the Civil War. A Southern Yankees perspective. I have learned many new things about the war since I have lived down south. It has taken me awhile to get where I am with it and is going to take more time for me to come up with a final product. I want to do it justice and I want to do it right. . Many people died in this war, on both sides. It will take awhile to complete . While researching, I found a couple of items I wanted to share right away.

To inform and illustrate the scale, scope and tragedy of the Civil War, the Abe Lincoln museum's Civil War in Four Minutes was created. It is a large animated map which plays out the progress of the war with continuously shifting battle lines and flare-ups that mark specific major battles. The entire war is presented in this way in roughly 4 and one half minutes. Nothing like this has been done before on the Civil War.

The map is of the period and based on meticulous research. The war was broken down into one week time periods and then each week was represented in one second. Storyboards were created illustrating the fluctuation of the battle fronts. Key battles were represented by explosions on the map. The graphic look, information and lay-out was developed and finalized and then digitized to its final presentation format.

The emotional effect of all this is both hypnotic and devastating.




And just by reviewing one letter from a Civil War soldier to his wife, the impact of the war can hit home.




Joseph Milton Elkins was a private in Company E, 49th Virginia Infantry Regiment, C.S.A. He enlisted at Culpeper, Virginia around June 1861. After standing guard duty at a field hospital following the First Battle of Manassas, Joseph, along with the remainder of the Confederate Army, bivouacked at Centreville and Manassas during the fall and winter of 1861. Joseph was stationed at Fort Pickens.His letter to his wife follows:



July 21, 1861
Camp Pickens


Dear Wife,


I take this opportunity of writing you these few lines to inform you that I am well at this present time and when these few lines come to hand they may find you enjoying the same health. We had another great battle Sunday, it commenced at 6 o'clock and ended at 6 o'clock, it was the hardest battle that was ever fought in America. They had 10 to our one--we conquered them, we lost about 800 in killed and wounded. The Yankees lost about 5,000 and we took 1,300 prisoners and 125 horses, baggage wagons and 64 pieces of cannon besides a great many things. I was not in the battle but could hear the report of the cannons which was in very plain view and we was in site of the battlefield, it was a sad and dreary day. I never had spent such a sabbath in my life before I have seen the horror of war. I had to stand sentinel [duty] at the hospital door were I could see all the wounded soldiers. I stood from Sunday 12 o'clock till Monday night. -- I had to be up all night to guard the wounded--it was the saddest thing I ever saw to hear the moans of the wounded and dying. I saw the surgeons operating on them, it made me shed tears to see how they suffered, some had to have both of their arms cut off and some their legs. I saw all the surgeons operations, it was a distressing sight to see them how they suffered--we like to got old Scott, [General Winfield Scott] they got his coat. We have completely routed them. I expect we will attack Washington City next. President (Jefferson ) Davis] came here Sunday. He went out on the battlefield, he came round and looked at all the wounded soldiers and shed tears over them, he is pleasant and graceful in his manner --it seemed to put new vigor in his army to see him in their presence.
I have heard and read a good deal about war but I have seen the horror at last. I never want to look into another hospital if I can help myself again. I have nothing more to say about the war. If it should be the will of the almighty for me to go into battle -I trust to be in his care --he has the power to save. I will put my trust in him. I want you to write to me as soon as I can direct it in the care of Captain Williams and how are you getting along and if they have sent you provisions yet. I don't know when I can come up but I will come as soon as I can. I am always thinking of you and the children. I hope I will return to you all again. I want you to raise them right if I should not get back. Nothing more at present but remain your affectionate husband until death parts us.
Joseph M. Elkins
To: Sarah Elkins
Flint Hill, Virginia



You can see why I am taking my time with this........

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...