24.10.10

A Yankee is born:






My Mom and Dad migrated to Boston Massachusetts from Great Britain (insert arms tired joke here) via an ocean liner. My mother was 9 months pregnant with me at the time. I often wondered that with the ship being registered in India and all, that if my mother gave birth to me in the middle of the Atlantic on that ship, would I be Indian?






Many people are surprised to hear that I am a first generation Brit! Some think I came from someplace else...



I am sure the teachers that eventually had me in their path, often wondered about these things......



What else was happening in the world when I was born?






That last headline is only a coincidence and has nothing to do with me being born the same day as this sighting.

I was born in Brookline Massachusetts, deep in the heart of Yankee country. Now, lets not confuse the region vs. the sports teams. I think my very first words were..:



...Carl Yastrzemski. I was born in a region of the country that is considered Yankee territory, but the local sports team has nothing to do with that city just four hours away down I95. If you were born in or near Boston, you were born a Red Sox fan for life!

I had a major issue right out of the gate. As my mother tells the story. One day my aunt was coming down the stairs into the front yard and saw that my baby carriage was on fire. Well, needless to say she went into frantic mode and ran upstairs to get water or something, noticing that all the while I was on the bed with my mother, safe and sound. I am sure my aunt may have been thinking it was something like.....



I have always looked at things a little different than most, this is a good trait at times. I often wondered where I got this thinking from and then I remembered.

My mother!

You see at age 6-7 my mom use to drive me to school in one of these:



Not bad for the day. But she had to add these to the exterior



Now, can you imagine how many stories I had to tell my friends about the "flower car" when she came to pick me up from school? "um..errr..my mom is getting paid to advertise the daisies" "umm..they protect against rust, your mom doesn't have any on her car?"

My moms rambler got me thinking...............

.......about now and then. How things have changed...I look around my house now and wonder what the heck did we do without these inventions?: 





Yes technology has come along way since I was born, I remember as a child using one of these:



Today, kids get a kick out of texting each other. Back in the day with one of these old school phones, we use to get all excited dialing a number with an 0 in the seven digits. Watching the dial go all away around was the thrill of the day. .

And who said we didn't have car phones?



Most of us that needed to make a call from the road used these.........



...........remember ?


How I watch football today.........


Vs. the TV of the day.


At age 10 I remember watching Neil Armstrong's walk on the moon from one of these.

I remember growing up decisions were a little easier than they are today. Take a simple task of going to the store to get a drink:

Today: 


Then: 


Forget about the terrorism threat color meter we have today. We did it right when I went to elementary school.


Duck and cover scared the crap out of many!


As I write this blog, wild memories flood in and I could go on for days. But I will stop here. I find myself getting older the more I type and saying things under my breath like "They don't make em' like they use to"



Can you relate? 



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...