22.10.11

Gone Gefilte Fishing


I am not the fishing type, I have no patience for it. For me, it’s like golf. I played golf once and that was it for me. 



I am a former hockey player and I could not get the golf club in the proper position to hit the ball..I was always holding the club like a hockey stick in slap-shot mode. My wrist shot always overshot the hole by a couple of miles.There is something definitely missing from this sport. Maybe at the start of each game the players should scrum for top tee off positions.....


I would flip it on at the start of every match! 

Just like golf, fishing does look relaxing to me. I just can’t relax…I do get excited a bit when I get a nibble on the line…but whats the point? I would throw the fish back anyway as I watch it suck for air and try to unhook  the line that is embedded deep into it's mouth while trying to avoid the blood and possible razor sharp teeth this thing may have. Not to mention avoiding the hook that looks like if it where to pierce your skin, you would never, ever be able to get it out without amputating a finger. Fish should come with labels so I can tell what it is that I have just hooked or trying to unhook. I could never take them home to cook. Cleaning fish for me is a horror that I can do without.

 "Fishing is boring, unless you catch an actual fish, and then it is disgusting"
~ Dave Barry





I will agree that I am a wimp when it comes to these things, a proud one at that! 



Speaking of fish labels……………..



How many of you have passed this jar of joy in the food isle and have said............




....... EWW! That looks like jarred crap!

I must admit, Gefilte  fish would be very easy to catch (Isle 14 in the ethnic food section) and it does have a label. I guess the thrill of the hunt may be gone a little, but you could use your imagination a littler here folks and think of it as big game fishing. Pack your bags, bring a beach chair, wear your favorite fishing gear, bring a lunch no bait needed (I like that part too) and go to your local super market. Set up in Isle 14 and sit in your beach chair and watch the shelves .

Management may come out and ask, "what the %$#@ are you doing?"  Just ignore all the distractions and stay in the zone. You may go home with a pretty good fish tale.



What a clever alternative to the actual sport. You call all the shots! If you really want a challenge, go to your local Jewish market...........



.........and you could spend hours

Many people have medals from such events.....



My wife says I should try Gefilte fish . My response? “Sorry hun, that looks like a jar of preserved turds!"  I have tried some different things in my life (Pickled pigs feet, Haggis, snails…etc..) But I would need to be at a different culinary level to ever try Gefilte fish!

Gefilte fish for all of it’s looks, does have quite the symbolism attached to it..

From Wikipedia: Gefilte fish (/ɡəˈfɪltə fɪʃ/, from Yiddish: געפֿילטע פֿיש, "stuffed fish") is a poached fish mince stuffed into the fish skin. Among religiously observant Jews, gefilte fish has become a traditional Shabbat food to avoid borer ("selection/choosing"), which is one of the 39 activities prohibited on Shabbat outlined in the Shulchan Aruch. Borer would occur when one picks the bones out of the fish, taking "the chaff from within the food."
A less common belief is that fish are not subject to "ayin hara" ("evil eye") because they are submerged while alive, so that a dish prepared from several fish varieties brings good luck.
Fish is parve, neither milk nor meat, and according to kosher law, it may be eaten at both meat and dairy meals (although some Haredicommunities avoid eating fish and meat on the same plate).
Where the stipulated head of the sheep is unobtainable for the Rosh Hashana meal, many use the gefilte fish, with the fish head served to the head of the family, usually the husband.


Hunting stipulated head of sheep is on tap for a blog topic next week. 




Even with all of its symbolism, I would find it much easier to down a few pickled pigs feet than try my luck with this jarred carp.The Gefilte fish industry needs a new packing and marketing plan. Some foods look great in jars. Gefilte fish floating in jelly does not! 
Peek my appetite Gefilte fish makers, place a photo of Paul Newman or something on the jar. That may get some to the point of taking a jar home. Then your job is done. The disappointment  that awaits when the jar is opened is another thing altogether

I know my wife and her parents would be disappointed with my less than enthusiastic attitude towards this traditional delight...



It would be fun fishing for Gefilte but I don't know if I could even get to the point of turning the lid on the jar.
Have you tried it?????? Yum ?? 







Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...