4.10.11

Our Writing Is Not Perfect. Sorry.

I've tried about 60,343,289,189 times to write a post this week and last.  (You think I exaggerate?)  Every time type a few words I think, "I do not have enough time to make this post good enough!  I will write some other time."

Ha.              Ha.

So, here I am, admitting that I am a perfectionist, that I should have just written, and that I am not perfect and neither is my writing.  Phew, that was humbling.  The great thing is that you dear followers love me just the way I am!  (Another Ha. Ha.)

But this line of thinking brings me to my topic for today: Perfectionism.  Let me share a slice of wisdom with you.  Your story does not have to be good when you are writing your 1st draft.  You already know that maybe/I hope/probably. I used to edit as I went along, rewriting sentences and paragraphs.  As I went along, I used to edit sentences and paragraphs.  My sentences and paragraphs were always changing as I went along, because I edited them way too stinking much.

Needful to say, it was a slow process.  Took me a whole day to write four single-spaced pages.  All I can say is try to live in the second, in the story, in your characters as you write.  Don't live in the grammar, in the flow, in the flaws.  Let your subconscious send out what it's gonna send out and then lacerate it later.

In other words, don't try to look like this little lady here.  All prim and proper with her parasol and bonnet and stuff.  Save that for the revising party.



How about YOU?  Do you struggle with perfectionism?  How many drafts do you go through to get it "right"?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...