18.11.11

How's Your Spelling?

I don't think I have any natural talent to be a great speller.  Not that I know of, anyway. But in my lifetime (which hasn't been that long), I've written thousands and thousands of words down for some purpose or another. 

And when I write, I pay attention to words I don't know how to spell. 

I didn't always know how to spell convenient. Word would underline it in red for me, and then I looked at its offered correction and took note.  Now I can spell convenient AND convenience on my own.  It's very convenient. 

These are some of the words I don't have to look up now, because I paid attention:

rhythm
silhouette
surreptitious 

Maybe it's pointless for me to be so concerned with spelling. Maybe to be a writer it doesn't really matter to know a word's spelling by heart.  I can always look it up. My Word document will correct it, etc. But I guess it's more about respect.  

Dear Words, 

I RESPECT YOU.  I spend so much time using you that I can at least know how to spell your names.  I'll never know all of you, but I can be working on it my whole life.  Thank you so much for being there.  

Love, 
Rain

Brian Regan is one of my favorite comedians.  Here's his take on spelling.  

    
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...